Saturday, December 17, 2011




CUPFUL OF LONGING

I’ve seen the walls of cathedrals...
Marveled at their towering spires.
I’ve stood before ornate alters
My ears thrilled with homilies
And utterances of impassioned clerics:
I’ve sung hymns and canticles
That glorify the heavenly chieftains-
Pressed flesh onto flesh on padded pews.
I’ve seen faces, faces and more faces
In the holiest of holy place; yet
Absent most conspicuously was that of God



And thus my heart remains a cupful of longing
My tangled arms – a wish for ultimate embrace:
My soul is stirred – my quest unfolds.
There’s a need in me that compounds my zeal
To seek and probe the depths of other spheres
For the divine I sought and never found…..
In iconic enclaves that exalt ecclesiastic vanity.


Author: Hope Kalé Ewusi ©

No comments:

Post a Comment