Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bantu princess of my sugarcane dreams

Cocoa beauty dipped in honey
Benign spirit of my sacred garden-
Who painted you so well?
Protagonist of sleep-scape novellas..
Behind fish net curtains I peek-
Watching you flaunt your wares…
Visual serenade – hmm sweet banter!
When you talk
You sing;

When you walk
You talk!

“Makandi” cakes in measured gait
Dance in cadence to the call
Of village sign posts….
Wotéké – Wonganga!
Bwasa – Likombé
Ah sacred pageant; sensual carnival.

 
And the men, oh how they gape!
Giggles and chuckles wrapped in adulation-
Each man, his essential self tabulates
The dimensions of your revered essence-
Sister, daughter, mother – friend;
Night-nurse, wife – soul confidant
Would smooth out the contours
Of his esteemed African manhood.

Need I wonder why
Or should I worry why-

Leeches and scoundrels seek your grace?
Worry why foreign legions crave your mystique?
Yes…yes ……hell yes!
For the lessons of history I’ve imbibed-
Elmina Castle – Goree Island
I must avenge with Shaka zeal
Cos you are mine – mine!
My cocoa beauty – dipped in honey…
Bantu princess of my sugar-cane dreams-
Earth goddess – my mojo hand
My oh my!
But the question remains:
Who painted you so well?
And if I had a clue, I wouldn’t tell

By

Hope Kalé Ewusi ©

No comments:

Post a Comment